Sunday, March 8, 2009

If you can't say anything nice....

I know that Aeslyn is a different name and some people think it's a little to out there, hard to pronounce especially when reading it, or have other less than enthusiastic opinions about the name that David and I have chosen for our daughter. Most people with these opinions chose to remember the old adage from Thumper's Mother "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all". They smile, nod and respond something like "Oh, that's unique" or "I've never heard that name before, where does it come from". The discussion ENDS and we move on. These people understand that it is OUR choice and OUR responsibility to chose what to name OUR daughter.
And then you get Ms. I won't name her from work. Last week was the first time I had really had a conversation with her as we work different hours but we were both working on getting final assignments and grades together and we found ourselves in the faculty work room at the same time. She asked when I was due and the conversation progressed in a typical manner until we got to "have you thought of any names yet?". The answer- "Yes. Her name is Aeslyn" Response- awkward silence with a facial expression of clear distaste and then "How is that spelled" This phrase was not one with undertones of politeness and curiosity as it usually comes across, but outright RUDE! I wasn't sure how to respond for a second. I felt like I had been pushed off balance unexpectedly from behind. I responded "A-E-S-L-Y-N". She says, again in a VERY RUDE tone "that's unusual. What's your last name?" "Katherman" Then she goes off on this rant about how it is OK for people who have common last names like Jones or Smith to pick a different first name for their child to prevent confusion when the child is in school, but if you have an unusual last name (as if Katherman is some far out there name you never hear-- maybe so if you've lived in the provo bubble for 60+ years) a more conventional name is a better choice. She wraps up this soap box of hers with the phrase- I kid you not- "You'll have to re-think that one. There's still time to change your mind"
That must be the practical, logical, left brained thinking of a typical old math teacher for you. Names should apparently be based solely on practicality and how easy or difficult your child's name will make his or her school teachers job in learning names.
Anyway I am wondering if any of you have any similar stories about when someone "should have said was nothing. What [they] did say was........"
Thanks for sharing.

5 comments:

Marisa Jean said...

Some people need a good kick in the FACE! I've got some pent up agression, you want me to do it? I love the name you've chosen. It is different and unique, but that's exactly why it's nice. Stick with what you want and let bubble girl go screw herself. Can I say that?

Camy Katherman said...

oh Marisa I love you. Dave said you just earned points in his book.

esianoyam3 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
esianoyam3 said...

Let me start by saying there's a reason we avoided discussing Miss Sparky's name choices with anyone before she was born. We learned our lesson with The Princess. :)

Try having our "unusual" last name. We had several names picked out for The Princess. One of the names we were considering was Eliana. That one flew out the window when my mom (yes, my MOM) told me that the first name combined with the last name sounded like a stomach disease. And then a week later she told me she'd discussed the name with her friend (who's a nurse - which apparently makes the opinion that much more valid) and she agreed that it sounded like a disease rather than a name.

Of course, you'll have to get used to doctors offices, teachers, etc mispronouncing her name. We haven't taken Sparky to the doctor yet and had them get her name right. But it's okay, because we love her name, and it's so HER. :) It's pretty hit and miss with the Princess' name, although her name is gaining in popularity thanks to the recent election (ugh!!!).

For what it's worth, I LOVE the name you've chosen, and I love that you're sticking with the traditional spelling.

Lindsay said...

Goodness gracious I hope you don't have any more encounters with her. Picking a name is a very personal process, don't let other people get to you.